Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 pound ground turkey
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 ounce fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup pesto
- 1/2 box gemelli pasta
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil gemelli pasta 10-12 minutes or according to box’s directions.
- While the pasta is cooking place the ground turkey, onion, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, pesto, milk, salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Mix with hands until evenly blended, being careful not to over mix to keep the tenderness of the meat, then form into 1 3/4-inch meatballs.
- Make a hole in the meatball with your finger and place a mozzarella cheese cube in the hole.
- Seal the meatball around the cheese and place on a separate plate until all meatballs are done.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium.
- Fry the meatballs for 3-4 minutes per side and then remove from pan.
- Once gemelli pasta is done cooking, drain and then toss and coat with remaining pesto.
- Put half the pasta in an oven-safe baking dish and then put meatballs on top.
- Put remaining pasta over the meatballs and then top with mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil so that mozzarella doesn’t burn.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from here.