Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes
Serving Size: 8-10
Podcast Recommendation: Lore: Trick or Treat 2016 – Set 1: Just rediscovered Lore in my podcast repertoire and listened to four in a row today. Lore explores different spooky stories and tales from around the world. Just in time for Halloween!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef (I used 85/15)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large or 2 small onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1.5 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1.5 cups water
- sour cream, for garnish
- grated cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add bouillon cube, bell pepper, onion, and celery and sautee about 5 minutes, being careful not to burn the vegetables.
- Clear the vegetables to the outer edge of the pot so the bottom of the pot is exposed in the center and add ground beef and minced garlic, breaking up quickly so the beef cooks crumbly.
- Add all the spices (chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic salt, and ground black pepper),worcestershire sauce, and the tomato sauce and incorporate well into the beef and vegetable mixture, stirring frequently until beef is cooked all the way through, about 8 minutes.
- Add kidney beans and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add water and diced tomato and stir again. Turn heat down to medium-low or low heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent stuff from burning onto the bottom of the pot.
- Top with sour cream and cheese and enjoy! We spooned the chili over hot dogs the night of and the leftovers were equally delicious as standalone chili the next day!